Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Skin Care


So where do I start?

I get many questions about how I take care of my skin or what products I use, probably because I don't wear foundation anymore.  But it's been a journey for me to get here, I've always had trouble with my skin and have learned so much by research, trial and error over the years.  However, one thing I need to mention is that everyone's skin is different (obviously) and you may have sensitivities or reactions that others don't, so it's all about finding the perfect combination of how to care for your skin when you take into account the factors of sensitivities, diet, and climate.  I learned so much from reading product reviews, other people's experiences, and asking questions of others who had amazing skin.  I hope that I can offer even a little piece of information that would help someone else towards their journey of glowing, healthy, smooth skin!

So let's talk about sensitivities.  There are so many people who have sensitive skin and don't know it!!  Maybe they think they have excessive acne (and in high school of course this is common), or are just so used to rashes and red bumps it's become the norm to coat on the benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid to dry out what they think is pimples.  I used to do that!  Little did I know that while I did have a pimple every now and then, most of the skin irritations I was experiencing were due to dry skin that I was over drying, so it would excrete excess oil to compensate, therefore making me think that I had oily, acne-prone skin.  Also, the foundations and moisturizers I had been applying to my skin were actually irritating it and making it worse!  I would use the foundation that would make my skin look best (Neutrogena, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Mac, etc) but all the chemicals were actually making my skin need foundation more.  Moisturizers nowadays are loaded with all kinds of crap and skin irritants that many people are allergic to.  I won't get into every bad ingredient because what you need to focus on is the fact that less is more when it comes to ingredients in your skin products.  When you see a list of 50 ingredients in your moisturizer or foundation you can bet that at least one of them is going to bother your skin, especially with how many synthetic things they put in them nowadays!  And for those of you who can have perfect skin no matter what you apply on it, I am insanely jealous.  I have spent so much money trying more moisturizers than I can count to find the "perfect" one.  Let me tell you, it's not about brand names and secret patented ingredients.  It's about certain key ingredients that are simply great for your skin, and always have been.  For moisturizing, pure shea butter is my go-to, but there are oils like jojoba, coconut, argan, cocoa and almond that are all amazing for your skin.  Remember, the less processed and closer to original form the better! Shea butter is rich in A, E, F and K vitamins. It helps skin stay balanced and clear, boosts collagen, hydrates and protects the skin from premature aging and revitalizes.  It has a low SPF in it naturally.  Shea butter is beneficial for oily skin and doesn't clog the pores.  As for dry skin, it moisturizes deeply and improves the skin elasticity.

Now on to diet.  I'm not going to tackle this huge topic thoroughly, but I will hit on a few key points.  First, there are foods that are extremely common that most people eat regularly and are big skin irritants.  Grains, gluten and dairy products are the main culprits.  When I cut grains and gluten out of my diet, my skin glows and my rashes on my face and body vanish like magic.  When I stop eating dairy, the main culprit being cow products which are harder for the stomach to digest, any breakouts I have on my back and shoulders go away.  It's taken me years to figure these things out, but you might be having the same experience and haven't connected the dots yet, so I'm just throwing it out there.  Also, when I eat more healthy fats like avocados, almonds, coconut oil, olive oil, salmon, etc my skin glows more and my hair gets healthier.  It's really true that the more live foods you eat and the closer they are to their original form, the more your body thrives and it's crazy how much better your skin and hair appear.

Climate is also a factor.  Do you live in a humid climate? You probably won't need to use as much moisturizer.  Dry climate? Your skin will need more attention and exfoliating.  I use baking soda to exfoliate and it makes my skin smooth and glowing and it's cheap!  I mix about 3 tablespoons of baking soda with enough water to make a wet paste and rub it on my face, leaving it on there for about 10 minutes (rinse sooner if it starts burning) and voila!  Glowy exfoliated skin.  For my body I rub a dry brush in circular motions which evens out my skin tone, exfoliating and giving my circulation a boost.  I do that every day before I shower, and use the baking soda on my face 1-2 times a week.  It makes a huge difference!

And above all, I encourage you to experiment with your diet, skin care and keep it simple and more natural, forgetting about those products that are advertised most on TV.  Just be open to learning something new and work on finding the perfect combination for your skin, it's so worth it in the end!


Here are the products I use:

Mulondon moisturizers.  They have worked wonders for my skin tone and are the #1 reason I don't have to use foundation anymore.  The base ingredients are a variation of shea butter, coconut butter and jojoba oil.  A little bit goes a long way.  Obsessed!!

Neutrogena Naturals Fresh Cleansing and Makeup Remover works perfectly for me, removing all my eye makeup and blush without making my skin feel stripped dry after rinsing.

Premium East-African raw shea butter.  2lbs for $20 on Ebay??  Yes please!!  I used to pay $25 for 8oz. before I found this seller.  There are places all over the internet that will rip you off for shea butter, and this is the best deal I've found.  You just dig some out of the jar, rub it between your palms to warm it up and work it into your skin.  It usually has a mild nutty smell and lightly grainy texture.  

I spritz this Rose Water Toning Mist from Amal Oils on my face before applying the Mulondon Moisturizer, it refreshes your skin and preps your pores for the moisturizer to sink in.

After reading many 5 star reviews on this product I decided to give it a try.  Glam Glow Super-Mud Clearing Treatment really lives up to the hype!  As the mud dries on your face, it extracts the blemishes, clogs and blackheads out of your skin, minimizing your pores and evening your skin tone.  I love it.  It's around $60 a bottle unless you find a good deal on Ebay (my forte), and I made an offer here for $30 and they accepted it.

And here is my dry brush!  Yes, it may look like a toilet bowl cleaner but it works wonders and saves me all the money of buying expensive exfoliators and scrubs.  If you're interested, you can find it here.


I hope you enjoyed and benefitted from my blog on skin care!  Feel free to ask questions or leave comments below! xx

6 comments:

  1. i love this!!! having skin issues as of late so i enjoyed reading all your tips :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! hope you find something that helps!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love MuLondon so much! Their Lavender Cream is my so far favourite!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am truly delighted to read this post regarding skin care which contains plenty of helpful facts, thanks for providing these data. Great article, exactly what I needed. Buy Accutane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your insights regarding skin care will surely help a lot of people, Jenna! Whatever the circumstance may be, it is up to the person to take care of their hygiene. Negligence in doing so may end up with nasty skin conditions that may require surgery. Good day!

    Ageless Laser Centres

    ReplyDelete